The rainforest which is ever recorded as the largest and the greatest is the Amazon tropical rainforest. The place is so big that the UK and Ireland would fit into it 17 times.
Amazon rainforest consisting in the South region of the origin of America contains nearly a third of all the tropical rainforests on Earth. Does not actually mean that it covers only around 1% of the planet’s surface, the Amazon rainforest is thieving and the inhabiting place of 10% of all the wildlife species we know about.
If we see on an average then a ‘new’ species of plant or animal is being discovered in the Amazon every 3 days. However, tragically, because much of or the whole of the rainforest are slowly being demolished so fast, we may never know all the riches it holds.
The Amazon plays a vital role because people around the world, also on the local level, depend on the rainforest. The requirements are not only for food, wood , water and medicines, but to help stabilise the climate— a total lump sum count of 76 billion tonnes of carbon is stored in the Amazon rainforest. The trees contained in the Amazon also give out nearly a count of 20 billion tonnes of water into the atmosphere per day, playing a critical role among the range of full global and regional carbon and water cycles.
Being addressed as the largest tropical rainforest on Earth. It is positioned within the Amazon River basin, covers some 40% of the South American continent and as you can see on the map below includes parts of eight South American countries: Brazil, Bolivia, Peru, Ecuador, Colombia, Venezuela, Guyana, and Suriname. The term signifies, in actuality, “Amazon” comes from the river.
Amazing facts associating to Amazon :
- It is inhabited by a count range of or to 1000 species of bird and 60,000 species of plants.
- A count of 10 million species of insects live in the Amazon.
- It again acts as a shelter to the 20 million people, who use the wood, cut down trees for farms and for cattle.
- It settles up within an area of 2.1 million square miles of land.
- Also the place is again inhabited by the species count of almost 20% of species on Earth.
- The UK and Ireland would be positioned together for over a count of almost into the Amazon 17 times.
- The Amazon brought all the attention of the public in the 1980s when a series of shocking news reports said that an area of rainforest the size of Belgium was being cut down and subsequently burnt every year. The procedure of cutting down trees has continued to the present day according to the Sao Paulo Space Research Centre. The recent and the updated research and studies suggest that we have lost 20% of Amazon rainforest. The satellite data associated with them is also impacting the increased deforestation in parts of the Amazon.
So, the largest rainforest has a lot to offer to the normal mankind of the same place. It serves as a home to almost all the species of animals and birds for over centuries. The same also has a great role to play in climate change and traversing in a particular and specific area. But, ways and methodologies of deforestation should stop at the highest peak otherwise nature and the home to such species would be lost along with posing a great problem and disturbances and so alarming and dangerous threat to mankind, also leading to global warming.